Saturday, June 9, 2007

You Can’t go Wrong with Paella

That day Scott and I decided that we would have a day of recovery and would make no attempt to do anything other than lie in bed (and, possibly, eat). We spent the day reading and lounging and at one point Scott went our and found us Doner kebabs (which were good, but not as good as the ones in Germany!) Around 11:00 p.m. we were inspired by an invitation from Primus and Stacy to got to a restaurant recommended by Marc as having the best paella in Barcelona. The restaurant was called, I believe, Set Ports (Seven Doors, in Catalan), and has been in operation for over a hundred years. There was a line of people waiting for tables, none of whom seemed to be tourists, so we had high-hopes for the food. Marc was on the money: the paella was delicious (and so was everything else). I had read in our Barcelona guidebook about something called Cacoaolat (a local chocolate drink) and I wanted some at the end of dinner, but I couldn’t remember what it was called so I just asked for chocolate milk. The waiter thought that I was out of my mind, but was kind enough to bring me a small thing of milk and a tiny container of melted chocolate that I mixed in my glass. My companions thought I was nuts too. All in all, a great meal and a great chance to rehash the previous days experience.

No comments: