Friday, June 15, 2007

Cyber Café or Your Car: Really, What Is The Difference?


We move on the next morning around lunch time to a town called St. Jean du Bruel, that Scott has wanted to visit for the last ten years (I know I am prone to exaggeration, but this isn't one). We stop at the little hotel (called Hotel du Midi Papillon) for lunch; the place has reportedly been run by the same family for four generations. I screw my courage again and order duck confit. This is really because there isn't anything else I want on the menu, other than salad – and there is nothing to pare the salad with that is reasonably priced, other then some strange sounding cured ham (a town specialty). I don't really like ham, but thought about it for a bit. Finally, I nixed the whole salad/ham combo concept and went with the duck. Scott ordered the ham. Thank the Lord I didn't. It looked raw and while he thought it tasted great, I thought it tasted as raw as it looked. There were two gigantic purple pieces with giant edges of thick white fat, that looked as if it had just been sliced off the live animal and thrown on his plate, along with a pat of butter – not sure what you are supposed to use that for. On the whole my duck was great and it turned out that our dinners came with brimming bowls of vegetables, including one that I was sure was salsify and a giant bowl of artichoke hearts. Once again, not sure why the vegetables weren't listed, but whatever. The duck wasn't as good as Scott's had been, but it still might be a
meat I would consider in the future. Then after we get in the car I miraculously find an unlocked wifi signal and sit rooted to that fortuitous spot for an hour or more so I can post to the blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tag, your it! Here's a little something to get you started on your blogging back in the USA..
I've tagged you, click here to read what that means :)
http://www.becoming-home.com/2007/06/22/ive-been-tagged/http://www.becoming-home.com/2007/06/22/ive-been-tagged/

Alexis said...

Yikes, Ari, this is really advanced blogging! I hope I have a little time before I have to tag someone else.