Friday, April 16, 2010

Italian Class

Strangely, my culinary journey opens with two 8-hour day of Italian and no cooking. We are divided into two classes those that speak some Italian and those who speak none. I am in the none class. Our teacher is very nice. She makes fun of me because my Italian comes out with a German accent. She thinks this is hilarious, I find it annoying. It sounds right in my head and when it comes out of my mouth even I can hear the German accent. The good thing is that Italian is so much easier than German. My mind had been blowing up the language class until it had reached “naked in front of the class” nightmare proportions. But after the first 8 hours, I figured I could handle it. The Italians don’t have any crazy word order, and only male and female articles, which for the most part are determined by the last letter of the verb. I love this language. I should have started with this, if I had something like this in the beginning I would be on my fifth language by now! I am really sure there is a larger question of personality being indicative of the language when I think about these two cultures, but this is a question I am going to have to ponder more fully post-Italian stay. For now, I am just looking forward to the kitchen portion of this experience and hope that I can keep the 8 hours of grammar I am learning in my head for the next few months.

No comments: